Young Learners! Math, Literacy & Science
Teacher: Deb Baltau
Class is 3 1/2 hours long! 11:15 - 2:45
Mat Fees: $50/session
Fall: 11 weeks $510 / session- can be split into three equal payments.
Winter: 10 weeks $470 / session- can be split into three equal payments.
Spring: 10 weeks $470 / session- can be split into three equal payments.
Using monthly themes (based on current interests of students), concepts are introduced and integrated in activities such as large /small group time, center activity time, etc.. For example, color mixing: discovering how mixing primary colors creates other colors. We can build, write and read sentences with vocabulary learned in color mixing activities. Measuring colors using various tools (ie. droppers, beakers, measuring utensils) to create specific shades. Prisms, rainbows and light discovery, light table, colored tiles. Creating with patterns of the rainbow. Constructing and deconstructing number 6. Labeling rainbows, books about color mixing.
Some of the math skills incorporated are:
● Numbers and counting
● Sorting and classifying
● Shapes and graphs
● Measuring and comparing
● Time and Money
● Adding and subtracting
● Scientific Inquiry- asking question and defining problems. Scientific method.
● Moon cycles, planets
● life cycle of plants and lady bugs
● Rocks, rock collections
● Gravity, friction and magnetism. Force and motion.
● Short vowel sounds/ short consonent sounds
● Blends ( 2 letter, 3 letter, etc….)
● Twin-consonant endings, plurals, and two-consonant blends.
● digraphs (ch, sh, th, wh, ng, nk). A digraph consists of two consonants that form a new sound when combined. Also three-consonant blends.
● High frequency words