Young Learners Reading Adventures
Teacher: Yeanelle Thome
NO MATERIAL FEES!
Winter: 10 weeks: $285 or $275 if taking 2 or more classes
Spring: 10 weeks: $285 or $275 if taking 2 or more classes
The reading class will focus on developing early reading, writing, spelling, and phonics skills using Logic of English, Foundations A. We will establish a solid foundation for reading with extensive multi-sensory phonemic awareness activities. Students will learn to read and write lowercase letters a-z and practice decoding short vowel words and consonant blends through multi-sensory games and activities. Young learners will read and comprehend phrases with lowercase letters and short vowels. Reading instruction is individualized to the learner through small groups, as well as activities in the class. Some of the skills we will cover include:
• Blending and segmenting words auditorily (with no printed words)
• Identifying the initial and final sound in a word and match it to the correct single-letter phonogram
• Reading all the sounds for A-Z
• Writing the lowercase alphabet
• Reading consonant-vowel-consonant words
• Decoding 80+ high-frequency words with some fluency, and have the tools to decode hundreds more
• Spelling short vowel words
• Reading short vowel words with consonant blends
• Reading and comprehending phrases with lowercase letters and short vowels
In addition, the 3D augmented reality Letters Alive program will be used to develop reading in and out of context. Letters Alive will enhance letter recognition, letter sounds, word building, and sentence building while immersing students in an augmented reality world filled with animals, tying science with literacy.
We will also target reading comprehension as well as vocabulary through numerous award winning books to engage young learners in reading, questioning, and talking about fiction and poetry.
Book selections for the year are below.
Weeks 1 & 2 A Tree is Nice
Weeks 3 & 4 How to make an Apple Pie and See the World
Weeks 5 & 6 Hubert’s Hair- Raising Adventure
Weeks 7 & 8 Frederick
Weeks 9 & 10 What Do You Do With a Tail Like This?
Weeks 1 & 2 The Story of Ferdinand
Weeks 3 & 4 Pancakes, Pancakes!
Weeks 5 & 6 Bread and Jam for Frances
Weeks 7 & 8 Stellaluna
Weeks 9 & 10 Owl Moon
Weeks 1 & 2 Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
Weeks 3 & 4 Katy and the Big Snow
Weeks 5 & 6 An Extraordinary Egg
Weeks 7 & 8 The Frogs and Toads All Sang
Weeks 9 & 10 Roxaboxen