Beginning & Intermediate Wood Shop with Joe!
Teacher: Joe Hornbek
Cost: $245 or $230 / trimester if taking 2 or more classes. Can be split into 3 equal payments
Mat Fees: $45
Wood is an excellent medium that has been used through the ages for items ranging from tooth brush handles to tools and transportation. We will explore its history from famous uses to some of the unusual forms it has taken. During the course we will use our math skills to manage our wood projects, learn how to safely handle some of the tools used in the creative process. Explore with us what we can be done when you bring wood, math and creativity together.
What the course covers,
· The basic history of how wood has been used,
· Tools of the trade both past and present.
· How to safely work with tools,
· How to make measurements properly,
· Practice drawing out a design.
· Practice project, using a hammer to drive nails safely, measuring and cutting wood square, building a wood frame.
· Final project we will build a WhirlyGig.
For our intermediate students we will expand our skill base by building a project of our own design.
What we will cover,
· Putting our design into a scale drawing.
· How to use power tools.
· Tool safety,
· How to budget and buy materials for our project.
· Practice to hone our skills,
· Learn wood construction techniques.
· Build a project of our own design,
This will be limited in scope and size to match the time and funds allocated for class.
“Hard work and inspiration can bring great satisfaction.”
A carpenter’s son.