Makerspace - Leathercrafting
Leatherworking: final project: How to make a case (sleeve) for anything!
Tablet, laptop, cellphone, journal, etc! Just bring in the item, measure and
we’ll learn to make the pattern, cut the leather, tool the leather and finish!
Projects learners will bring home:
1. Leather field notes or passport cover
2. Leather wallet
3. Leather sleeve for electronic device or journal
We’ll build our leather skills by creating projects using snaps, rivets, cutting
tools, staining, designing tools and sewing tools.
Learners will practice everyday math skills such as:
● Perimeter and area
● Surface area
Because everyone works at their own pace, the weekly shedule is flexible.
If learners finish early, there will alsways be extra projects they can work
1. Safety! Pattern layout, measurement and cutting.
2. Casing, tooling and punching pieces
3. Staining and finish coat
4. Rivets, snaps and sewing techniques
5. Continue assembling pieces
6. New project: layout, measurement and cutting
7. Casing, tooling, stamping and punching
8. Staining and finish coat
9. Rivets, snaps and sewing
10. Finish final project
Learners will gain confidence and competence in using leather working
tools such as:
● Razor knife
● Rotary punch
● Wing divider (measuring tool)
● Leather punches and mallets
● Lacing tools